Sunday, August 23, 2009

Pyongyang Is For Lovers

I spend a fair amount of time thinking about life in the North Korean capital city of Pyongyang. You know how some cities make you think of romance and adventure? Pyongyang makes me think of toil and strife. And isolation.

But what is it really like? Since I've never met someone who's visited, I try to read about it and look at photographs of the city. Here's an interesting collections of photos from Kernbeisser, who toured the least visited country on Earth.



It's sort of like an ancient, forbidden city, frozen in the past.


I picture it as lonely place, with few people walking on the streets.



Department store windows are a far cry from Fifth Avenue. The signage still seems to be made by hand, not computer.

Here's a lovely entree of dog meat.


One of the tallest buildings in the world, Ryugyong Hotel, has never been completed.



North Korean monumental architecture.

A seaweed vendor completes a transaction.

No comments: